Thursday, June 19, 2008

Of digging implements and nieces and nephews

Suddenly it's Thursday and i find myself trying to take stock of my week. What have I done that is of note ... jack! Well maybe homework and work and a couple of gym sessions. O and I did an upgrade to my efficiency user interface. Wat the hell is that you are wondering ... it's iGoogle stripped down and personalized.
I still need to find my ethnic beauty for the week ... darn. With so many eligible women to pick from why is it so hard to do.

I'm about to become an aunt yet again ... no NOT through my sister. My cousin is expecting a lil one with his girlfriend of several months. I got the news this morning & it was more effective than a strong up of coffee. Had to call my mama to get the details and boy did I get them. This coming weekend he is going to be meeting her family (uyavelela) and getting a price quote (lobola + damages) for the marriage. My 2 cents in this situation is that he should have not mentioned that she was pregnant. The price quote would have been much lower.

I recently got introduced to the Kubatana Blog. They focus on women's issues in Zimbabwe and the article that I have linked to is entitled 'Lessons from a failed state'. The author is recounting how she filled in a hole that was left by the city council when a pipe burst.
Be comfortable with the tools you use: But the pick, which I lifted in the garage at home before I headed for the pit, was much heavier than the spade I ended up using. If the site of the crazy white girl chipping away at a crusted mound of dirt was entertaining, the site of me straining to lift the pick onto it would have been sheer hilarity. My spade might have taken a while. But at least it wasn’t more than I could handle. Besides. Not having a pick gave a lot of passers-by the opportunity to give me some advice: “Use a pick,” rather than having to offer to help.
extracted from http://kubatanablogs.net/kubatana/?p=643

If you are Zimba you will definitely appreciate the write-up. For those who don't know what a pick is see attached image. The zimba one is full size as in take a shovel and put a head at the end. Pick has both sides sharp as opposed to one blunt and one sharp. You need to put some back into it if you plan to swing it with enough force to make progress while diggin.

No comments: