Thursday, February 21, 2008

Gay Africans Online

Came across this article and it focuses on gay africans and arabs coming out online. The writer looked at several blogs so I thought it's something to check out.

Beyond the blogging scene, the Internet's chat rooms and community sites have also become one of the safest ways for gay Africans and Arabs to meet, away from the gaze of a hostile society.

“That is what I did at first, I mean, I looked around for others until I found others,” said Gug, the writer behind the blog GayUganda.

“Oh yes, I do love the Internet, and I guess it is a tool that has made us gay Ugandans and Africans get out of our villages and realize that the parish priest's homophobia is not universal opinion. Surprise, surprise!”

Quoted from Andrew Heavens, Gay Africans, Arabs come out online, http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080219.wgtgayblog0219/BNStory/Technology/home

No comments: