Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My two cents

Hey all, Hope you are enjoying the spring weather that has been trying to make a comeback. To be honest this has been one of the longest winters that I've ever experienced. I wish it would warm up already. I love going to the lake, but that cold breeze is keeping my visits short.

It has also been a rather rough time in and of itself. I recently lost someone that was near and dear to my heart and I've been struggling with one or two other issues.
The person that I lost was the only person remaining in my life that I considered a grandparent. She was loving and caring, and always full of encouragement. She also played a mean game of Boggle. I recall meeting her for the first time. It was a Sunday afternoon, my freshman year in college and I needed to pick up a bike from her place. I rang the doorbell and she came to the door. I told her my name and that I needed to pick up the bike in the back that was left for me. She says okay, go around and closes the door. I thought damn, y'all what'd I do wrong. Anyway, later that year I needed a place to stay and asked a friend of mine. She in turn asked grandma and I moved in summer of '01. I've loved the woman since. I love her family as well. They are always willing to help you if you get yourself in a pickle. They are practically my extended family. Can't even imagine life without them. They have pitched in to help my family out numerous times... who can forget the Christmas when grandma Hughes' house was bursting at the seams coz my family had come in and so had her family. It was fun I tell you.
She will be missed by many. It was evident at her funeral this past Saturday, and I for one do hope that her legacy of caring and opening up her house to those in need will go on. I haven't figured out how I intend to honor her memory, but when I do it is something that I hope will do her memory justice.

Going home also made me think of other things. Have you ever been surrounded by people and still felt lonely. It's a kind of loneliness that just works it's way through you until all that you want to do is scream and shout or do something stupid to get rid of it. It shows up when you are really tired, or sleepy , or your defenses are down and stays until you find something to push it out.
The fear of this type of loneliness is what keeps me from getting attached to people at times. When they leave it's like a void and you start from scratch again. I don't make friends easily and I don't trust easily. I would rather have one or two trusted friends than a hundred superficial friends, why else do you think my online profiles usually have only a handful of buddies.

Anyway enough of my babbling, what started out as a two cent post suddenly became a dime's worth of posted material ... that's what you get when you give a long winded person a damn keyboard.

Ty

No comments: