Sunday, January 2, 2011

Reflecting on MMX

A Happy New Year to you my fellow bloggers and readers. Tis hard to believe MMXI is finally here. I had the great fortune of ringing in the new year with my family and am grateful for that. Family means a great deal to me and every moment that I get to spend with them is one that I cherish.

2010 was a year with a lot of ups and downs on the personal front. The 1st half of the year was great and I fireballed the second half - we are talking bonfire leading to ash. My life as I knew it went out of the window and I am in the process of starting things over. It's funny how the things I thought I could not live without have now been relegated to the luxury list. I hope that I have learnt enough to not make the same mistakes twice. May I continue to see the good in people and believe that people change.

In the news of 2010, I would have to say that the story that I considered the most inspirational was that of the Chilean miners who were trapped underground for more than 2 months. That story unfortunately also provided what I considered the  most chuckle worthy story of the year, that is, that of the miner with a wife and mistress. The moral of the miner's story was that one should always inform the mistress of her place in society.

The oil spill in the gulf was an an example of what not to do. Almost 5 million gallons of crude oil were released into the gulf due to a series of mistakes as well as trial and erroresque fixes.

The Haitian quake at the beginning of the year was also a story of note as it brought together people from all walks of life in a bid to aid those struck by the disaster. The technology community came together to form camps where solutions were developed and deployed real time.

Speaking of technology, who can forget the introduction of the ipad. The lil tablet was the butt of numerous jokes due to its name but it has become a very handy item to have. Even I, who thought it an impractical device to have, have had a change of heart. I am an equal opportunity techie and use Blackberry, Apple and Android products so I can't wait for a decent Android tablet to come along - I already have an iOS product.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Julian Assange's Wikileaks brouhaha. That he was finally brought in under the crime of Sex by Surprise made for an interesting story to follow.

O let us not forget that the world cup of 2010 was won by the Vuvuzelas. The Spaniards were the runner ups.

1 comment:

yemaya said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for mentioning my country's earthquake. We are still being shaken.

I like that you covered a variety of events from the world cup to Assange. What do you make of the new threats on Bank of America?

I transferred my blog to wordpress. You can find it at https://thequeerhibiscus.com It seeks to promote creative writing among Caribbean lesbians.

I also started a new one on Haiti after the earthquake.
Https://Onehaitiandrum.com. I wrote a piece on my views about our future. I just wrote to Miami Herald to see if they would publish it. If not, I will post it on the 12th.

It's so refreshing to read something substantial. Love your blog. Keep it up!

Andrine