Thursday, March 27, 2008

half penny post

hey all, quarter's been over for a hot minute and we've been on spring break. i did a write up for the blog which is being proof read so i'm hoping to put up it up next week once it's deemed presentable. overall i'm hoping all the readers are in good health.

Logoonline has an interesting documentary on being out Dangerous Living: Coming Out in the Developing World and it was an eye opener.
Dangerous Living opens with testimony from one of the "Cairo 52" defendants Ashraf Zanati, who was tortured, humiliated, beaten and forced to spend 13 months in prison. His simple, but powerful statement sets out the basic theme for the film: "My sexuality is my own sexuality. It doesn't belong to anybody - not to my government, not to my brother, my sister, my family. No."
For most of my out life I have lived in the Western world and have faced very little backlash. I've had a few family run-ins and while most have been minor one or two have been harrowing experiences. The perk of living out here right now is that I can choose to not answer my phone and that's helped immensely. I know that if I were to return home, I'd have a lot more problems. I don't wear dresses/ skirts. My mannerisms are decidedly masculine. Well my mom will have a cow and everyone else will have the milk.

Speaking of my mom having a cow.... a conversation with my mom netted the following: I need to start thinking about settling down, I need to start thinking about having kids, and i need to disabuse myself of the idea that I'm adopting a child. I am expected to give my mom a child not my partner or anyone else. Well she has another thing coming to her because I'm adopting. Be it my partner's child or from a home.

Come to think of it, tomorrow I should write on my take on marriage. A past post hinted at that.
Teach Tolerance!

Ty

No comments: