Saturday, June 28, 2008

half penny post

The days are definitely longer and I'm beginning to feel summer in the air. The weather is beautiful and I'm wishing I could spend more time outdoors at the lake.
On the flip side my body is whining at me as my allergies are causing my system to work overtime. I've been going easy on the anti-histamines and taking them only when I'm clawing at me eyes or break out in hives.

Glo had a post (see No 'Ordinary Pain' below) on what happens to all those lovey dovey songs on your ipod after you break up with your girlfriend. I keep playing them. I try to avoid having any one song that has the dubious title of 'our song'.

Music is an essential part of my life. It's like free therapy at times. I usually have something playing in the background at all times. You can tell my mood by what I'm playing ...
  • 'I'm for you' by Toby Mac or 'What you want' by Canton Jones and I'm working on getting rid of excess energy. These are head bangin' rock tracks.
  • Kirk Franklin or Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir and I'm getting my spiritual side going.
  • 'Inhlopeko' by Nhlanhla Nciza usually means I'm really struggling with something.
  • 'Uthando Lwami' (My Love), 'Udum' ikiss kiss', 'Nguwe Wedwa' (Only You), 'Superhuman', 'Umyeni Wakhe' (Her mate) and I'm just love jonesing.
  • Got a few club beats that I drop when I need an energy boost.
  • Other Zimba or South African songs mean I'm in a party mood.
I am blessed to have access to some of the newest music around. It does pay to know a DJ or two trust me. I've had some songs that I've introduced friends to and they are like whatever. Two months later they are calling me asking if I've heard the latest song by so and so and I'm usually like 'fool I told you about that gem of a track weeks ago and you rolled your eyes at me'.

Suggested Reading (Optional):
If I Ever Fall in Love Again… - Staceyann Chin. She discusses what she wants in a woman and I might have borrow some of the items on the list.
No 'Ordinary Pain' — Gloria Bigelow. What do you do with all those songs that remind you of your ex in your playlist?

No comments: