Monday, June 23, 2008

Of life and women: Clueless

Yet another week has begun. I spent most of my weekend travelling and having a gay ol' time. I got to take a nap in the shade of the St Louis arch so that's one thing to take off of my to do list. Hit the city up with several lads and a lass. If you are ever down there you ought to check out the Venice Cafe. Their jerk chicken is to die for and we all know a lil char on the chicken goes a long way. The recipe is similar to that of Nando's lemon and herb chicken. Speaking of Nando's they are finally in the US!!!!!! YAY!!!!!! I have been craving some Nando's peri-peri chicken for the longest time. I'm having my sister bring me some the next time she comes up as she has one in her town.

Why do women have to be so complicated? I am a woman and you'd think I'd at least have a leg up over some of the guys that I hang out with when it comes to understanding them. I recently discovered that I am as clueless as the blokes. I need to start a support group for all the clueless... it's gotta have a catchy name so suggestions are welcome. I'm calling it Clueless up until someone gives me a better name. The first meeting of Clueless has officially began ... let us introduce ourselves:
Ty: Hi, my name is Ty and I'm clueless.
Gp: Hi, Ty.
Ty: I like this lass and I'm having a hell of a time reconciling cultural differences. I am Southern African and am fairly well versed in cultural norms, actions and such, but I'm clueless when it comes to her culture. [insert example here]. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
In case you are wondering why I have [insert example here] I'm avoiding spilling some unnecessary tea. I'm not going to put someone else's business on this blog without their permission.

I have a friend who recently asked me what it is that two women do together. I about killed myself choking on my drink. If it was a bloke I'd have read him the riot act and then changed the subject but this time I had to seriously consider the question. My friend is ridiculously shy and the fact that she asked meant that she'd been thinking about it for a while. I decided to give her the PG-13 abbreviated explanation which led to more questions and my needing another drink. All in all quite an interesting conversation.

Time permitting check out the following:
Without wicker or spilled milk by Glo Bigleow whereby she recounts some of the events leading up to her first sexual experience. Had to laugh out loud at some of the content in the blog post.

Addend: Check out the insightful comment that was posted by EvolvingContradiction7

1 comment:

EvolvingContradiction7 said...

Hi Ty! lol I think it's people in general. We are all the same in some ways but we all are complicated in our own ways. It is the general assumption that if we are the same sex as an individual then we would know about them/ get them more than the rest... not true. I guess we try to read the people that we are into and its difficult or impossible. Mixed signals do not help either...
Dealing with cultural differences is hard, I think being open-minded and not making assumptions will help people get past that part.
Our lives are complicated whether we think they are or not and starting off a relationship or going into a relationship with someone makes the situation get a little messy. Its almost like we have to explain our life story, and why we believe what we believe to them. Sometimes they wont agree with you but if its worth the argument then maybe you wont take in further, but if it is then the subject might just have to be dropped... agree to disagree.
Hope this helps.