Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Of cars and emotions

Mid terms are upon us ... I'm in grad school and I decided to take summer classes. I am considering taking the Fall off so it was only logical that I take summer classes so that I wouldn't fall behind.

As to today's topic I thought I'd write about cars and the emotions they evoke. I will go ahead and throw in a warning: I love cars and do occasionally refer to them in the same way that people talk about their kids.

I have a car that I'm borderline obsessed with, the Bugatti Veyron. That car is automobile manufacturing at it's finest. It is the world's fastest car at present. There are to be only 300 in the world and all are hand built. The car tops out at some 250 odd miles per hour and will run out of gas in about 15 mins at that speed. At about $1.5 million it is no small item purchase. Throw in gas and you need another 100G.
As to the car's faults, it is ridiculously wide (I'd never park it on a side street), has enough trunk space for your wallet (and not you partner's) and did I mention the mpg that you get. I should rephrase that and say gallons per mile that you get. At top speed you will drive a whooping 63 miles.

Our local Bentley dealership has a Veyron in black. I was walking in the Gold Coast neighborhood one day (one needs inspiration when school gets tough) to see what cars were in parked in the streets and I walked by the Bentley dealership. Now ordinarily I'd just cast a glance at the Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Bentleys keep it moving, but out of the corner of my eye I saw it parked on it's own with a velvet rope around it. I almost tripped over myself trying to get around the corner to see it through the other window. It was a beauty to behold. The first time that I actually touched it (and it took some doing to be allowed to even touch it)and ran my hand over the smooth curves I almost wept. I felt the way most parents feel when they hold their first born child. I got misty eyed and I can't really explain the joy and awe that ran through me. Ofcourse I immediately called my brother all giddy and rubbing it in that I'd copped a feel of the old gal. I'm not an overly emotional person but cars do get me going. As a side note, for those who watch BBC's Top Gear, you know that May took the Veyron out for a speed trial and had a lot to say about this car.

Now most cars evoke some sort of emotion so I thought I'd break how car make me feel:

Joy:
Audi R8 (swoon worthy), make that most Audis

Kill me now:
Kia Rio, Chevy Aveo

Aaaaahh Sweet:
Smart Car
Mini
Yaris

Practical but not a sight for sore eyes:
Prius

feel a case of road rage coming on:
Crossfire
BMW Z4 coupe, most BMWs actually except for the ghastly SUVs/ Cross overs
Aston Martin DBS

Classy:
'08 Camry - I drove one for a weekend and had a hard time giving it back. I like Toyotas in General.

Oddly enough I now have a thing for hard tops. I'm no longer drop top crazy. I don't need half the world to see me go by (I just want you to hear my engine go by). Not to mention that I have more than enough melanin and don't need to aspire towards more.

Peace,

Ty

No comments: