Monday, August 25, 2008

half penny post: travelling and students

hey all, i hope that you are doing well. I'm doing great actually. I ended summer quarter last week and took a trip out to the east coast (DC) to visit my sister. It was both a restful and tiring trip.

Flying standby is always a challenge as far as I am concerned. I was bumped off the Phoenix leg of my flight but was able to get a direct flight to Chicago which worked out really well for me. The last time I flew, I had to spend the night at the Charlotte airport after getting bumped off of 5 flights... can you say find a creative heating solution. Ended up sleeping with my laptop between my undershirt and shirt in order to stay warm ... I knew there was a reason why laptops tend to overheat. The heat from the fan helped to circulate the warm air between the layers.

I did hit up the club scene both on Friday and Saturday (and still made it to the airport at 7AM on Sunday). Friday I visited an African club as it was 'Mzansi night. All southern Africans know about that one. I spent the first hour in the club watching the soccer match between Nigeria and Argentina. 99% of the blokes who were standing in front of the TV were Nigerian and that left me as the only Arg supporter... and we won. Did I mention that I was the only female watching. Danced the rest of the night away to some good house, kwaito, soukous etc. BTW, what kind of bar tender are you if you've never heard of a Red Stripe?
Sat night I hit up DuPont Circle ... fun! Nothing like being in a gay crowd to liven things up. 2 completely different crowds.

I work with students during the school year and it's interesting seeing their reactions to me. I tend to blur gender lines and at first glance most students think that I'm masculine. Halfway through the conversation they switch to ma'am. It's got it's pros and cons. Students tend to give me less flack when compared to the other females in the office. Mostly it's a cultural thing where they are concerned. Women are lower down the totem pole and in some instances their opinions do not count. Try teaching a bloke whose followed that all his life that if he wants anything, he's going to have to work with me. It takes some doing. I love my job and wouldn't trade it for anything right now...

Anyway enough of my rambling ... gotta work on a web project before I go to bed.
Teach Tolerance!

Ty

No comments: