Sunday, September 21, 2008

Half Penny Post : 1st day of Fall

Tis the first day of fall, something that I find hard to believe. Have we gone through three quarters of the year already? Now I sit back and ask myself, 'Self! what have you done in the last 3 quarters?' and I don't have a concise answer. Yes I went to class, yes i went to work, but what of note have I done. Answer is depressingly a resounding nothing! I have not contributed towards the fight for equality, I have not contributed towards the political process in my country, nothing. Nothing contributed towards the greater good.

I have contributed towards personal development. I have been to hear motivational speakers who've spoken about attitude, motivation and having clear goals. I've got my e-commerce venture off the ground and have tried to surround myself with people who are going places. I'm talking about people who are tired of the status quo and are trying to ensure that their future kids will have better lives. The funny thing about my spending time with these folks is that they are mostly guys. The women that I meet are married to these guys. I'm the only single woman in the group and there are probably 8 bachelors. The guys treat me as an equal which I appreciate because culturally they would be justified if they chose not to. Did I mention that 90% of the people in the group are either in Comp Sci or Engineering and 50% hold Masters degrees.

I have been following the political process in this country and I have to admit I am a tad worried. The 'kindly lady' who likes to shoot rifles has me realllllyyyy worried. A friend of mine forwarded me an email that I thought was funny in relation with the 'kindly lady'. I quote:
Make a donation to Planned Parenthood. In 'kindly lady's' name. A Planned Parenthood donation is tax deductible, while a political donation isn't. And here's the good part: when you make a donation to PP in her name, they'll send her a card telling her that the donation has been made in her honor.
There is also an address given to make sure that it gets delivered to the right place. :)

Love & Peace.

Ty

No comments: