Friday, February 5, 2010

A night at the theatre

I took myself to the theatre last night to watch A Raisin in the Sun. DePaul had a free preview screening and being the broke sod that I am, I took myself out (even broke out my good jacket and shoes). I made the conscious decision to not read the synopsis because I wanted to experience the story with no preconcieved notions. That always makes for fun viewing. DePaul put on an excellent reproduction of the play. It made you want to get on stage and shake some of the characters, Beneatha for one. I found my self wanting to yell "man up" to Walter Lee Younger a time or two or three or four. The student who played Ruth has definitely found her calling. She emoted like no other. The icing on the cake for my night out was the elderly couple sitting in front of me. Made my lil heart glow. Why? Because they were a queer couple of color.

I am a fan of the arts and do try to do something twice a month. I've figured out how to get my arts fix in with minimal expenditure on my part. Play previews are a godsend and so are museum free days. Networking events / showcases are also good for the financially unsound. This probably makes me sound like a cheapskate, but at this point I honestly cannot afford to pay for this stuff. Patronage of the arts can be a lil pricey. As soon as I can free up some funding, I'll be sure to pay because I know that the artists need to eat as well. But until then ... my social calendar will continue to center around that which is free or in exchange for volunteer time.

1 comment:

EvolvingContradiction7 said...

I love the arts too but i never thought of that. I'm going to look for some free preview screenings around here. Aww elderly couples are cute, add queer to that and its cute and wonderful. Thanks for the idea!