Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Half Penny Post: Observations

Random observations from my day to day life.

While I am not a type A personality I've come to realize that I'm closer to it than I thought. There is a sense of order that my unconscious mind sees and implements without telling my conscious mind. I discover things after the fact. Prime example, my work space. It is arranged in a manner that suprises people. On the board in front of me is I have pens, highlighters and sharpies thumb tacked to the board (instead of in a container of some sort). I have a calendar and lined up under it are my Dove Chocolate wrapper sayings. I have a clipboard to the right with a list of projects that I'm working on as well well as the status of each. I need to post a photo for you to understand how unusual the order is. I didn't notice it until someone commented on it.

Another example of my faux type A personality is the order of my shoes. I've subconciously arranged my shoes by color and cut, for example, my black shoes go from solid black boots to my black laceless sneakers. Same goes for the brown row. Another row has sneakers with laces and they go from solid black, to black with white to solid white to white with blue to blue with grey to grey with black. I mean the colors flow.

I ride the train to work and the bus home on most days. I enjoy the bus ride as it is along Lakeshore Dr. As I've adjusted to this quarter's schedule I've begun to notice people. Take for example this woman who is butch. I ride the bus with her every Tuesday. She gets on at Water Tower place and gets off at Bryn Mawr. We've seen each other enough times to nod when the other gets on the bus. Thursday nights after class I catch the bus with another lady who works at a restaurant judging by her attire. I can't say for sure where she gets on but we get off at the same stop. She always has her music going. One of these days I'm going to wave bye to her when she turns down her street.

My roommate is on vacation for a few so there are 2 of us in the apartment. That translates into I do not need to hunt up a shirt if I wish to leave my room ... yippee. I have an aversion to shirts that I have mentioned in a previous blog. I spend every possible moment in my room shirtless and it appears I'm in good company. The upcoming issue of Allure has Padma in the buff and I shall quote"I tend to sleep in the nude. I'm an innately tactile person and a very sensual-leaning woman. You have to use the word 'leaning' or it sounds like I'm boasting! When I'm in my own private space, I do spend time with very little on." By the way can we get an AMEN for Padma and her fine self. Actually can we jus get an amen for women in general.

As I grow older, coming out seems to get easier. Could also be a case of the more people I come out to the easier it becomes. I found myself having a conversation with a fellow student and didn't think twice when I said "change that to girlfreind and no I don't have one." She was like really, and the conversation just carried on as usual. I have a bone to pick with people who ask me if I have a boyfriend or someone I'm seeing. The "or someone" portion of the equation automatically becomes a girlfriend unless the English language has changed in recent years. Why don't they just ask are you seeing someone? Or better yet, are you gay? I will answer honestly 99% of the time.

One of my roommate's is leaving the city at the end of the school year so we've been meeting potential roommates. There is the dance of do you like us, do we like you and as well as the how comfortable are you with black & asian roommates. There is also the follow-up "your thoughts on a gay roommate"? Psychology is a wonderful thing and I will psych you out with my grey tank and hip hanging cargo pants.

Enough of me rambling ... I'll probably post additional ramblings as the month goes on.

No comments: