Friday, August 20, 2010

Self Awareness

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to bring you more randomness. I took a communications class and one thing that was recommended was that we start to understand who we are as people so that you can understand how people perceive you as well as what your biases are.

Over the last couple of weeks I've had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with myself. That would be enough to drive me crazy under most circumstances, but I've come to realize a few things about myself:
  1. I like my alone time. [I process things better that way]
  2. I spend a lot of time in my head. [No I'm not losing it]
  3. I am an exacting person. [To a certain extent]
  4. I have learnt to tolerate silence. [I don't have to fill it with sound]
  5. My definitions of things tend to be more fluid than not. If you ask me a question, I will say it depends and ask you to fine down your question. I can answer the question without necessarily giving you the answer according to me. *See next point*
  6. I am a very private person. Save for this blog I avoid talking about my private life. Someone once said to me "I've known you for years and I still know next to nothing about you." I can be very specific in my vagueness and you have to have known me for a while to fully understand that statement.
  7. I will debate someone not because I feel very strongly about something but because I am curious about how passionate you are about something. [I do know when to cede gracefully even if I don't agree with a person]
  8. I enjoy learning. [I am curious by nature]
  9. To date me a person has to understand that they are not the most important person in my life. [my niece holds that position]
  10. I am an eternal optimist.
K that's about it ... have an awesome weekend folks!

2 comments:

EvolvingContradiction7 said...

I really like this post. I read it a couple of times and I like the self reflection/awareness. I think it's important to understand you because who else will?

Anonymous said...

We have a couple of things in common.

"...I can be very specific in my vagueness..."
I found this statement interesting and thoughtful!