Friday, August 13, 2010

Weekly Rundown - Lawd Ha Mercy


I repeat Lawd Ha Mercy! The heat ... I know I complain about the cold but at least I can always add an extra layer. I can only take off so much before I am cited for indecency.  The lake usually has a breeze but a heat index of 101 with 40% humidity nullifies any benefit from it.
  • Que tal mis amigos? Estoy muy bien, un poco caliente pero bueno.
  • My beloved niece has learnt how to say mama ... brought tears to my eyes first time I heard her say it over the phone. Now my mission is to get her to say tia (spanish) or dala (ndebele) though more likely than not her next words will be uzakuwa which means you will fall.
  • Thusly finding myself with a lot of free time on my hands, I have taken up classes in preparedness, communication and leadership. As part of my class on communication, I had to take a Myers Briggs test. Surprise surprise I am an INTJ. I knew there was a reason why I was drawn to preparedness / continuity / contingency planning. To quote:
  • All Rationals are good at planning operations, but Masterminds are head and shoulders above all the rest in contingency planning. Complex operations involve many steps or stages, one following another in a necessary progression, and Masterminds are naturally able to grasp how each one leads to the next, and to prepare alternatives for difficulties that are likely to arise any step of the way. Trying to anticipate every contingency, Masterminds never set off on their current project without a Plan A firmly in mind, but they are always prepared to switch to Plan B or C or D if need be.
  • Now I get to start chipping away at the next set of issues. I'm no longer feeling as overwhelmed. *secures helmet*
  • Forgot to add, I am quite the cook in training. This week we perfected a pancake recipe and I made chicken and dumplings soup south asian style [image 2] aka some curry, garam masala, corriander, cumin and light soy found their way into the recipe. For the dumplings, I threw in a sprinkle of sugar and a dash of garam masala. Trust me it worked. I'm learning how sugar can sometimes bring out the savory flavors in a dish. Side note Bal Anerson the Spice Goddess on Cooking Channel is my inspiration behind the chicken and dumplings.

No comments: