Friday, October 16, 2009

Random Post: What trips your gaydar?

Gaydar: The supposed ability to detect whether or not a person is gay by observing that person (Wiktionary)

I had an interesting thing happen on the bus on my way home last night and it got me thinking as to what sets off one's gaydar. I was sitting towards the back of the bus doing my crossword puzzle and a young lady walked by me. I looked up and the first thing that crossed my mind was she's gay. She did not exhibit any of the stereotypical gay characteristics - short hair, rainbow items, extra piercings, andro / butch looks - nothing. She just pinged and it really surprised me. 2 stops down, what I could only conclude was her girlfriend got on. Why that conclusion? Well let's see - holding hands while sitting next to each other, the gf's studly look, the hello kiss / peck - all of the above.

What I'm really wondering is why the first lass pinged. I don't recall seeing them before but it is possible that I've ridden with them before and subconsciously I filed that piece of information away. It could also be that I was secretly hoping that she was gay. I don't know. So my question is what sets your gaydar off?

The article that I got the image from might make for some interesting reading for some of you as it looks at what can be derived from you facebook profile in terms of your sexuality. It's in Portuguese so Google Translate might be needed.

image extracted from http://passandoaregua.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/estudantes-criaram-um-software-de-probabilidades-e-conseguiram-descobrir-entre-os-homens-quem-e-gay-e-quem-nao-e/

1 comment:

Monie said...

@Ty

I think women can reveal their sexuality in their eyes. So maybe it was something in her eyes that you picked up on?