Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Celebrating love

A friend of mine, A, got married out east over the summer and they decided to throw a reception for everyone and said reception was this past weekend.

A is more like family if I'm honest. She's seen my sister and I through a lot of hell and high water situations. She was one of the first people who twigged on to the fact that I was probably gay and struggling with it. As a sign of how bad my gaydar was at the time, it took me an eternity to twig onto the fact that she was also into the lasses.

Anywho I went home to OH for the reception [and a visit with my niece] and it was nice to see the folks who came out to celebrate their love. Family, friends and even one of her high school teachers came out and it was heartening. Several of the guests were from our college days so catching up was a treat. Speaking of guests, there was an 80+ year old woman who not only cut a rug, but also rolled up that bad boy. She was on the floor doing dances that I had only seen high school students do. I want to have her energy levels when I'm her age.

It was also nice to meet the lass who "took her away from" us as a speaker said. I like her wife if for other reason than that she makes A happy. Her wife is the sweetest person ever and my niece took to her which is a good sign in my book.

I wish the happy couple a lifetime of happiness and love. While there will certainly be bumps in the road, may the smooth patches out number the bumps.

As a side note, I really should thank A. One of the guests was a lass that I had a thing for in school [why I am suddenly blushing is beyond me]. She is the reason why I finally started watching the women's soccer matches.

No comments: