Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Rundown

Forgive me readers for I have slacked. Sometimes life happens and all your best laid plans go to hell in a hand basket. *warning: there are some rants thrown in*
  • I'll kick things off by addressing a common question, what's up with the librarian? She is now seeing someone. I pussy footed [who created this expression?] it too long and she is now seeing someone that I happen to know. My lesbian circle is officially too small.
  • @atlfoxy + @SweetT_ = @MySweetJazz. These two are sweet enough to make anyone diabetic. May we all be lucky enough to find such love.
  • Anyone watched or read about BBC's Lip Service? It is positively scandalous. Having watched the first two episodes I'm all in. AfterEllen recaps it here and Autostraddle recaps it here. For those who've never heard of Autostraddle, it's like the uncensored AfterEllen. Their NSFW Sunday articles are chock-full of all sorts of queer delights.
  • For those who watch Grey's Anatomy religiously, you probably recall Arizona's speech about Mark staring at her boobs while talking to her. Watching that clip made me wonder how often I do that, ie, start off staring at a woman's eyes end somehow end up looking at the ladies below. So I set off to do a test at a networking event. I am happy to report that I don't do it as often as I feared I did.
  • Las Aparicio ended last week with Julia finally marrying Mariana. My Spanish slang count will now drop if I don't find something else to watch. Le sigh.
  • In other queer news what the hell is wrong with the journalists at Rolling Stone Uganda. I am sending them an e-slap for publishing a list of 100 alleged gays and lesbians and calling for the hanging of homos. Google the story as there is a fair amount of commentary out there on it. SMH.
  • Job searching is draining. That's all I have to say, no more no less.
  • I was advised to tone down my English earlier this week because it makes people uncomfortable. *begin rant* Since when is it wrong to use proper spoken English? I make an effort to not use big words or speak in theoretics because I get that the message has to be tailored to the audience. However, if during a conversation you say to me "I am an avid reader of Victorian era books", I am not out of line if I respond "So what is your favorite tome?". If you've read that much Dickens et al you should know the word. As it was a mock interview, I will take the advice and dumb down my speech some more. I need to find a full time job and toned down English it is.
  • The flip side of my previous rant goes out to the fine folks who for some reason or other are very surprised that I am articulate. I said I was Zimbabwean not stupid. *end rant*
  • Every week I try to read a book. Last week I read 1001 Arabian nights. This week it's Einstein's Relativity Theory. This one might span 2 weeks.
  • Anyway I need to rest as I have EM duty tomorrow morning in the rain no less. Should be interesting. 
  • Have a good weekend folks!

2 comments:

Mimi said...

So funny, I found your blog online by typing in the words queer african blogger in google. I don't know why I've never done it before but your were my first hit and your blog is delightful. I'm incidentally also a queer blogger from Zimbabwe. Coincidences abound. You can read it if you are interested. Otherwise, take care.

Anonymous said...

Lol... :)Thanks for the shout out, Ty! Sometimes even we overdose on our own sweetness.

I am sorry to hear about the librarian. OMG, that sucks!

*giggles* "pussy-footed"