Thursday, May 28, 2009

Half Penny Post: Soccer in the US

I am a soccer / football fan! With that out of the way I have a mini rant on the state of soccer in the US.

Soccer in the US is played in pretty much the same way that people play football / baseball. All brute force and no finesse. Soccer here is about getting the ball past the goal posts. There is no flair, no showing off. In other countries soccer is played to entertain the crowd. Winning is just the icing on the cake. Ever watched the old greats play, they dribble, dash here, fake there and eventually find the back of the net. The likes of Ronaldinho, Pele, Zidane, Henry etc literalily make the ball baila ... it dances at their feet! I live in the Chi and we have Temoc, a player brought in from Mexico I believe. When he first arrived, he had the dance going with the ball. Nowadays his playing style has changed and its all skill and very little flair.

Anyway the reason why I ended up ranting about soccer is there is a FIFA qualifying game on the 6th of June here in the Chi and the US plays Honduras. I plan to be in the stands cheering on Honduras not the US. I even have a Honduran soccer jersey from a few years back that I plan to rock. Go Honduras!!!!!!

No comments: